‘RML Beverage Drinks’ is a drinks company based in the UK. They currently have a team of 150 employees and an annual turnover of £6 million. In the last few years, the company has fallen upon some difficult times. Market conditions and a drive for healthier drinks have resulted in more consumers rejecting fizzy drinks. The company has started to diversify its product offering but, in the meantime, has been forced to downsize. The Managing Director (MD) of the company has requested that you act as a consultant to the firm and help support the company in the following workforce planning and talent management initiatives. You will be generating materials for managers on what is involved and how to undertake appropriate actions.
Task One – Presentation Pack
The MD has asked you to prepare a presentation to the managers to position them around key contemporary labour market trends and their significance for workforce planning. This will also cover turnover and retention trends and the factors that influence why people choose to leave or remain. The pack needs to include presentation slides and supporting notes.
The presentation must include:
- an explanation on how organisations strategically position themselves in competitive labour markets. (AC 1.1)
- an explanation of the impact of changing labour market conditions on resourcing decisions. (AC 1.2)
- a discussion on the role of government, employers and trade unions in ensuring future skills needs are met. (AC 1.3)
- an examination of turnover and retention trends and the factors that influence why people choose to leave or remain (AC 3.1)
It is essential that you refer to current labour market and turnover and retention trends / conditions to ensure that your work is contemporary and relevant. Please ensure that any references and sources drawn upon are acknowledged correctly and supported by a bibliography.
Your evidence must consist of:
- Slide deck (no more than 3 slides per assessment criteria)
- Presenter notes (1,000 words)
Task Two – Inhouse Manual
For this task you need to create chapters for an inhouse manual for managers on what is involved in Talent Management and Workforce Planning and how to undertake appropriate actions. As your manual is being prepared for managers, it should be written in a professional format and style.
Your manual should have a title page, contents page and a brief introduction. Your manual should be broken down into chapters covering the following:
Chapter 1 – Workforce Planning
- an analysis of the impact of effective workforce planning. (AC 2.1)
- an evaluation of the techniques used to support the process of workforce planning (AC 2.2)
- explain approaches to succession and contingency planning aimed at mitigating workforce risks. (AC 2.3)
- assess the strengths and weaknesses of different methods of recruitment and selection to build effective workforces (AC 2.4)
Chapter 2 – Talent Management
- compare different approaches to developing and retaining talent on an individual and group level. (AC 3.2)
- evaluate approaches that an organisation can take to build and support different talent pools. (AC 3.3)
- evaluate the benefits of diversity in building and supporting talent pools (AC 3.4)
- explain the impact associated with dysfunctional employee turnover. (AC 3.5)
Chapter 3 – Contractual Arrangements and Onboarding
- Assess suitable types of contractual arrangements dependent on specific workforce needs. (AC 4.1)
- Differentiate between the main types of contractual terms in contracts. (AC 4.2)
- Explain the components and benefits of effective onboarding. (AC 4.3)
It is essential that you refer to academic concepts, theories and professional practice for the tasks to ensure that your work is supported by analysis. Please ensure that any references and sources drawn upon are acknowledged correctly and supported by a bibliography.
Your evidence must consist of:
- Inhouse Manual (2,900 words)